SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Roo
Hello,

Question about "Pocket Geiger Radiation Sensor - Type 5"
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14209

The sensor comes with two bass plates that we are supposed to use to shield the components from "beta particles"... But won't shielding affect the number of counts which are picked up by the sensor's chip?

Thanks,
R
By jremington
What is it that you want to detect?

According to the data sheet, the sensor itself, a PIN diode, is efficient only for low energy (~10 keV) gamma rays, also called X-rays, with no mention of efficiency for beta radiation (electrons). So it could be difficult to tell what the counts actually mean.
By Roo
jremington wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am What is it that you want to detect?

According to the data sheet, the sensor itself, a PIN diode, is efficient only for low energy (~10 keV) gamma rays, also called X-rays, with no mention of efficiency for beta radiation (electrons). So it could be difficult to tell what the counts actually mean.
I don't know what data sheet you're looking at but I'm looking at the data sheet right now and the range for detection is between 5-1000 keV. Perhaps it's not 100% efficient at the higher energies but that doesn't matter for me.

What I am interested in figuring out is if the brass plates have been calibrated for and taken into account for measurements rendered by the detector?

The detector came with brass plates that we shield the detector with but doing so will theoretically result in artificially lower counts...?
By jremington
I don't know what data sheet you're looking at but I'm looking at the data sheet right now and the range for detection is between 5-1000 keV. Perhaps it's not 100% efficient at the higher energies but that doesn't matter for me.
The same one you are, but you don't seem to understand it.

Detection efficiency is 1% at 1000 keV. So, that does not qualify as "efficient" in my carefully chosen language.

If you are interested in radiation safety, this COMPLETELY UNCALIBRATED DETECTOR IS CERTAINLY NOT one that a sensible person would chose.

And what would you do with the uncharacterized counts that might come from beta radiation?

Best of luck with your project.
By Roo
jremington wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 pm
The same one you are, but you don't seem to understand it.

Detection efficiency is 1% at 1000 keV. So, that does not qualify as "efficient" in my carefully chosen language.

If you are interested in radiation safety, this COMPLETELY UNCALIBRATED DETECTOR IS CERTAINLY NOT one that a sensible person would chose.

And what would you do with the uncharacterized counts that might come from beta radiation?

Best of luck with your project.

Yep, not using this for safety. Using it for other purposes (fyi I'm using relative abundances of counts it picks up so it works out for me)...

Just trying to figure out what the deal is with the brass plates that came with the detector.
Using the brass plates will affect measurements.. unless that was already taken into account by the manufacturer.

Looking for confirmation of this.

Ty for trying to help anyway, I appreciate it.

If anyone else out there sees this and can help please let me know.

Thank You,
R
By jremington
Using the brass plates will affect measurements.. unless that was already taken into account by the manufacturer.
The manufacturer has not calibrated this detector, or "taken into account" anything you might add to it.

To measure the effect of adding the brass plates, get a suitable radiation source and compare counts before and after adding them.