SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
Hello,

I've read and tried everything i found (google, sparkfun, arduino ...) multiple times with no success, so here i am looking for help.

I have 3 Sparkfun ProMicro boards. I was able to program 1 of them (after a reset/Bootload) successfully and the setup still works.

After that, i've been trying to connect to the 2 other boards, but i think i tried to upload with a wrong board selected (3.3v instead of 5v) on one of them to start with, and then could never get anything back to normal for any of them.
I tried the reset twice method and many others, but the bootload part never shows up in tools.
Then i tried to hook the working board up just to check if i could at all connect to a pro micro, but none of them seem to be accessible anymore.
Although the original one still works with it's simple setup/program, just not showing up in the arduino IDE so i can't adjust it's code anymore.

I do have the Sparkfun boards package installed, Arduino IDE 1.8.5.
I can plug a regular redboard in and it's port shows up, same for other arduino boards, but none of the Pro Micro boards show up.
I've tried 4 different usb cables (but they might all come from usb chargers, does it make a difference?).
When the boards are plugged in, the red Led turns on and stays until unplugged/un-powered.
I don't see anything visually noticeable happening on the board or anywhere (IDE) when i do the reset (short rst/grd twice, with or without a button)
I've restarted multiple times with or without the board plugged in ...
I basically followed these instructions:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pr ... -reinstall
https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31518
Mac OS 10.12.6

I'm at lost, not sure what to try or look for.

Any idea, tip, advice ... would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Stefan
Problem solved.

I tried a 5th usb cable with the original working board and after 1 more system reboot it showed up in tools/port and connected properly. Serial monitor prints were fine too.
I then hooked up one of the 2 other boards, restarted arduino, and the double reset worked, the port was found and i could upload a super simple reset sketch, which uploaded properly and put everything back in order apparently. I was then able to upload other test sketches like a blink thingy.
Same worked for the 3rd board.
So all is fine now.
Moderator, please feel free to delete this topic if it is now useless or just adding unnecessary noise to the subject.
If not, my conclusion is that even after 4 different cables tries, the problem can still be cable related!
Can usb cables be so different or am i just fooled by some misleading appearance and own beginner's knowledge?
Cheers.