SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By FlightRisk
I have windows 10, 64bit and the Arduino IDE version 1.8.3. I installed this into the board manager:

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/packa ... index.json

I can see all the added boards and select the Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing from the list. My "port" setting is grayed out. I tried everything I could think of to install the FTDI drivers, but nothing works. The install says it installed 2 files, but nothing shows in my device manager and plug and play does not make a sound when I plug the USB cable in. I looked at all the docs and forums and can't see what I am missing. There are 19 devices in my USB Serial Bus Controllers tree item, but nothing that looks like it could be the "thing". There is no "ports" tree item.

I tried 3 different USB cables, though all the ones I have are from phones. When I plug in the thing, I get power and after a bit the "chg" light begins flashing several times a second. Interestingly, if I put my fingers near the edged of the board, it stops.

When I plug in my Arduino Due and use it's different USB cable, Windows immediately plays the "found new USB device" sound and I can program the Due. So it has to either be all bad cables, a bad thing, or drivers. Does the Due use the same driver or does the thing use FTDI and the Due something else? Windows assigns COM3 to the Due. I also see the "ports" tree item show the Due and see a new "USB serial converter" under "universal serial bus controllers".
By FlightRisk
I didn't see a way to edit my post. I tried the same cable with a Teensy 3.2 and it worked just fine. It look like the Arduino and the Teensy both use the standard windows USB drivers and the Thing uses a different driver. So I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the FTDI driver installation.
By jmogollon
Hi FlightRisk, I'm facing the same issue.

No "Usb connected sound" when I plug the board.

I have two different USB cables and tried in a W10 and a W7 pc same result.

Did you finally solve this issue?