SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By theChipmunk
Love this site and I've decided to come to the forums and ask a question, as you seem a pretty friendly lot!

I would like to know if you can get a tiny (about the size of a small torch or less) projector.

At the minute, I don't really care about the res of this thing - I just need to know if they even exist!

I have a wacky plan that you could use it to project an image on to a glasses lens so that, using one-way glass people can see your eye, but you see the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

theChipmunk
By Bushman
I dont know of any, but just about any LCD can be turned into a projector by shining light through the back of it :)
By Pyrofer
at least one person i know of made a projector from a nokia 3310 lcd.
Phone screens should be your first resource for this.
By theChipmunk
Pyrofer wrote:at least one person i know of made a projector from a nokia 3310 lcd.
Phone screens should be your first resource for this.
Yeah, I was thinking of Sparkfun's Nokia Screen knock-off. A nice, bright 1.2 Luxon LED should do the job, but would there be focusing issues?

theChipmunk
By Grimm Spector
I'm a graphics newbie. how would it project, I assume the intention is to have a screen in sunglasses or the like and the screen be somewhat translucent?
By theChipmunk
Grimm Spector wrote:I'm a graphics newbie. how would it project, I assume the intention is to have a screen in sunglasses or the like and the screen be somewhat translucent?
Yeah, pretty much, but what I'd like to do is project the image on to matt surface one-way glass so it floats in front of you and people can see your eye, but you see the screen. Maybe just a mirror in a good position would be good?

Thanks for all your help so far, guys!

*Thinks* Infra-red filters on the cameras...now there's an idea... ;)

theChipmunk
By Grimm Spector
yea I'd say a little big but it's a starting point. :P
By theChipmunk
How exactly does a MEMS device work?

Also, do they ship to Northern Ireland (United Kingdom)?

Thanks for that, the price looks very nice! :D

theChipmunk
By SOI_Sentinel
Expensive things to make (right now). Those MEMS systems are basically an array of LOTS of mirrors. You load the data in parallel and the system shifts data to the right area, deflecting the mirror by 12 degrees. TI refers to the interface in one of their datasheets and an electrical input optical output memory device. The issue is there's virtually no data on those modules, and who knows how bad they've been damaged to be tossed into the surplus market at $3 a unit. The other problem with this is who knows what model, pinout, and voltage these take. The newer units (discovery 1100) are 64 bit data bus with an 8V and a 4V power supply requirement. They're also surface mount, not COF like this model, so I have no idea about the pinout. XGA resolution, however, sounds similar.