SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Lowkey
Hey there guys!
We got this vehicle monitoring system using RFID as our thesis. I've seen the demo video, can we buy those setup or ready made setup then we just do the coding part?
By paulvha
I recently bought an Sparkfun RFID reader and are spending a lot of time understanding the protocol(s) and connection between the hardware and software. Honestly I am impressed by the quality of the Sparkfun board, the M6E Nano and the API.

There are a number of different professional solutions in the world of car tracking, but as a thesis I would expect it is more an extensive prove of concept. Not sure whether the emphasize is on the hardware, the software or the environmental issues (like security, privacy) but the Sparkfun board with the M6E Nano + external antenna could do a job. Ideally you want a read-plan with more than 1 antenna to capture car(s) from different angles and make sure you capture the RFID tags. However that is not supported by the Nano. For that you need more expensive reader and more antennas, which ThingMagic has as well.

For the software : thingMagic provides an extensive API, which is used for all their readers, for C, C# and Java. It supports setting the different reader parameters (get/set), GEN2 and iso180006b protocol, many different tags, and the expected commands like read /write/lock/unlock/kill etc. I have seen that it also supports the tags from the Brazil specific for SINIAV project which is around tracking vehicles. That said.. it is hard to find internal information about that project and my Portuguese language skills are close to zero...