SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By frascati
Hello,
I need to regulate 3-18vac from a magneto to 12vac. 3v to 12v is fine for my application. In fact preferred since I'm using dimmable 12vac "landscape" led bulbs and do not want them to drop out below 12v. I only want to limit the max voltage to them to 12vac. Approx 1.5a.

A standard 12v regulator will not work since it rectifies to 12vdc. Can I use a fairly simple three pin stock part on a heatsink?

thanks
By theropod
LED's are direct current devices. Yes, they will self rectify low voltage AC, but they operate exclusively on DC even if they chop half of an AC sine wave. The ones you have probably have a rectifier someone in the guts.

RS
By frascati
They indeed must. They are "low voltage ac only" landscape bulbs. The mr16 bulbs I'm using work exceptionally well with the magnetos ac output. They are dimmable and still produce decent light at 3vac. I'm only concerned with a shortened life running the bulbs at 18vac for long since they are rated for 12vac. I'm only wondering what I could add to the circuit to simply limit the magneto output to 12vac.