SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mchughj
Super basic question. If I were a hardware guy I would likely install Eagle on my machine and go to github and download the schematics and then be able to answer the question myself. But I'm more of a software dork, I don't have eagle installed, and likely I wouldn't be able to fully understand it anyway, so looking for guidance.

The rocker switch on the RedBoard Edge has one leg powered to 4.2v (when 5v is supplied via the usb connector) and the other, when the switch is in the off, is 0 volts. Activating the switch brings the opposite leg to 4.2v. I have two questions:

1/ The product documentation page suggests that the rocker switch controls the power going into the screw terminal pre-mounted on the board. Specifically it says, "5mm 2-pin screw terminal which is connected to VIN through the beefy rocker switch on the front." This doesn't appear to be the case when powered via the USB. It is true when power is supplied through the barrel jack though. Guess I'm just looking for confirmation.

2/ It would be super cool if the second leg of the rocker switch were connected to a pin that I could read on the Arduino so that I can change behavior when the switch is flipped and the board is being powered via USB. Is that the case? I guess if it isn't then I can do it manually, just looking to see if it has been done by the board directly.

Thanks!

Jason McHugh