SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By hamguy
I am trying to update the firmware on the Tsunami Super Wav Trigger board. I am using a 4gb SanDisk MicroSD HC1. Following the instructions, I insert the disk, turn on power, hold down the User button and momentarily depress the Reset button. The led stays lit like it is supposed to do. But when I hit the Reset button again, it gives a short blink every few seconds. None of the sound files will play using the contact closure as set in the ini file. I am trying to use the latest version 1.01. Any ideas wil be greatly appreciated !!!
By robertsonics
It sounds like you updated the firmware successfully. The LED blinking briefly every few seconds is normal behavior when not playing sounds.

What does the LED do immediately after hitting the reset button?

Make sure you're using 16-bit, 44.1kHz wav files, mono if you're using the mono firmware, or stereo if you're using the stereo firmware. Make sure the files are named correctly - see the User Guide. Try not using any init file and make sure one of your tracks is 1 (named "0001_xxx.wav) and then activate the first trigger.
By hamguy
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the sample audio files and the init file. I have tried both the 1L and 1R outputs. I have tried closure on all 16 pins. No audio out. When I hit the Reset switch, there are 3 short led blinks and then short individual blinks every few seconds.
By robertsonics
Three blinks on reset means that the board firmware is up and running and it liked the SD card. The short flash every 3 seconds or so means that the firmware is running but no sounds are playing. So far, everything is good.

When you successfully trigger a track, the LED should come on solid while any track is playing. No LED means that it didn't find, or didn't like, the corresponding wav file for that trigger. If there is no LED, then there will be no audio. So your symptoms are that the files you're using aren't correct, or that there's something wrong with your unit.

Did you update to the mono or stereo version of the firmware? Are you sure that your files match the format? If you're trying to play mono files using the stereo firmware (or vice versa) then this is exactly the symptom you'd have.
By hamguy
Wow ! You nailed it. Thank you again!....I recorded a 16 @44k on Audacity. Beautiful high fidelity output. I am going to use this board in a device with 16 large switches. I have a friend who is a parapaligic. He can't speak or see. but he has enought movement that with difficulty can depress these large switches. I am using the device to communicate with an Amazon Echo unit. So when he hits a switch my voice commands the Echo unit to play his favorite radio stations, podcasts, get the weather forecasts, tell time etc etc....I already have a kluged up prototype that is working. The device fills his day with controlling things he could never do before. The Tsunami Super Wav board will be the final iteration of this device. Again, Thank you for your spot on help. Just one more question - Is there any way I can switch banks via 4 switches to give him 64 audio channels using the same 16 switches?
Mike
By robertsonics
Re: nailing it. It helps being the developer 8)

Two of the alternate trigger function are Trigger Bank Up and Down. These will shift all the trigger inputs up and down by 16 track numbers. The only caveat is that it takes 2 switches to do this (one for Up and one for Down) so you are left with 14 triggers to start tracks. But with 32 trigger banks, that's still a lot of tracks to trigger (32 * 14).

The other issue is that the user has to keep track of what trigger bank they're in, since there's no visual or audio feedback.

That's an awesome use of the board - Thanks for sharing. Curious why Tsunami instead of WAV Trigger. Do you need more than a stereo output?
By hamguy
oh, I didn, know about the other board. I do not need stereo at all. I will check it out. OK on the up down switches. I could get the wav trigger board and buffer the output of my bank switches to trigger an identifiying audio as to what bank he is selecting. That would be difficult thought without some type of sensing on the board to let me know which bank was selected. Or maybe delegate the first switch to say what the subject of the next 15 switches are. Like Sports, Podcasts, Music, News etc. So he would just switch up and down the banks. Then just hit the first switch and it would tell him where he is at. What do you think?