SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ScottHoward
Hello,

We recently constructed the weather station project that Nathan Seidle did in 2013 using the Red Board, weather shield and Electric Imp.

Here's the project:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/we ... nderground

Everything went together perfect and the station was running smoothly for a couple of weeks and streaming to Wunderground no problem. About a week ago, it stopped reporting. When I log into our Electric Imp, I notice that the Agent is online, but the Device is not. We tried rebuilding the code, as well as unplugging the power to the station and plugging it back it. Nothing has helped. The error I'm seeing on the Imp dashboard shows that the station device goes online for a minute, tries to get weather data, then disconnects with a "Serial timeout error initial" error. The code is on the website I posted above. I've tried back-tracing that error but am a bit stuck. The only difference is our weather station name for Wunderground. All other code is the same. I'm wondering if the Imp lost communication with the Arduino board and needs a hard reset using the button on the board. I was just hoping there might be a simpler solution.

It is on a roof in Alaska that is a bit difficult to access (not impossible, just trying to fix this without having someone try to get up there), so I was hoping someone had seen this issue before or might know a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide! This project is being used by students in the school on which the station is mounted.

Regards,
Scott
By Valen
Are you sure this isn't an electrical problem? Battery powered? If so, depleted? Alaska you say. It's not winter in the north, but corroded contacts maybe due to weather influence. (well it wouldn't have to be cold for that, just wet)