SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By nft007
I have recently purchased the MAx30105 Breakout by Sparkfun

Link to product: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ma ... okup-guide

I got it hooked up, running and loaded the example sketches in the product library. The sensor seems to be working however, there are no examples in the library (or online insofar that I could find) designed for particle detection in the air (i.e. for smoke or dust).

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for implementation (i.e. How can I use this sensor to measure particles in the air). Seems like a silly question - I thought I would come across some sketch to assist me with this by now. Before hooking the sensor up for my intended application, I am testing particle detection on my desk (blowing particles above the sensor and checking the serial monitor) but I have had disappointing results.

One idea I had was to use the presence sensing sketch included in the library and decreasing the threshold for a hit (100 by default). I tried this but the sensor was still not doing a good job at detecting particles. It would either be too sensitive at lower threshold values (output many false positives) or not sensitive enough (at/around the standard threshold of 100).

I don't think I'm using the sensor to it's full potential, perhaps this sketch wouldn't be the best way to detect particles and so here I am asking for help. Perhaps red or green light would be better than IR (I tried but with similar results). I am not well-read on the science behind this sensor and the particle-detection capabilities either.