SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
Hi all -

I went through the forum search results for "OpenLog", but still I cannot identify why my rather simplistic setup is not working. :cry:

I want to log data from an GNSS receiver (It's a Novatel OEMV in a ProPak3 housing). I configured a COM-Port (9-pin D-SUB) of the receiver to send some binary data at 9600 baud, two packages per second (2 Hz) (no parity check, 1 stop bit). If I connect the receiver to a PC with an open putty terminal, I can clearly see all that binary data coming in ...

The OpenLog is equipped with an 16 GB micro-SD card (class 4). The OpenLog module is indeed able to access that card (the config.txt is created as expected).

The simple wiring I use is as follows:

OpenLog's VCC and GND are connected to + and - of an 6 V external power source.
OpenLog's RXI is connected to the receivers TX (pin number 3 in the 9-pin D-SUB)
OpenLog's GRN is connected to the receivers "signal ground" (pin number 5 in the 9-pin D-SUB)

The baud rate is configured for 9600 baud for each of the devices. The OpenLog "esc#" is set to zero (no escaping). I can actually see the OpenLog's green LED blink anytime the GNSS receiver sends out a binary data package. So this makes me think that there is actually a successful communication. If I let this run for a while, many Kilobytes of data should have been transmitted. If I then disconnect the serial connection to the receiver, the green LED will stop blinking, and now the blue light is blinking (repeatedly, three times each).

However, if I then power-off and look onto the microSD card, I will find either a very small Log-file (only 2 or 3 or sometimes 8 bytes with mostly just useless Hex-zeros in it), or even no logfile at all. :?:

Why won't the device write the incoming data to that log-file? Is my wiring wrong?

Thanks a lot for your support....David.
By jremington
The OpenLog GND (negative battery terminal) must be connected to the signal source ground. Ignore the GRN terminal, that is for programming.

Also make sure that the signal is 3.3V. 5V on the RXI input can damage the OpenLog.