SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Silleniv
Hi,

I've got an Edison/LSM9DS0 running the SparkFun example code. I've got my dev environment setup and the program running on the Edison.

I've read the datasheet and understand the two's compliment concept but I do not understand is how to convert the raw data to something human readable. I can follow the sparkfun calculations, but I'd like to understand the theory behind it and how they knew to use those calculations. The datasheet provides no examples on how to use the raw data.

If there is a link to a page that I've missed please share, i have no qualms about reading.

Side note, I am a software developer with limited experience with dealing with I/O, so there could be some common knowledge that I don't have yet.
By jremington
The datasheet provides no examples on how to use the raw data.
The data sheet does tell you how to interpret the data. See Table 3, "Sensor characteristics".

In that table a conversion factor, "sensitivity", is given to convert the integer raw data values into physical units. Test this by verifying that the accelerometer registers +/- 1 g along an axis that is pointing straight up or down.

Magnetometers must frequently be recalibrated. Overview here: https://edwardmallon.wordpress.com/2015 ... r-arduino/