SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By bradleyheathhays
Complete novice here, and I'm trying to figure out what little volume control knob I need to splice into this wire here...

...in order to control the volume of the speaker on this 2 C cell powered alarm device. This is part of a 2 unit warning system where one box is the motion sensor, and the one pictured is the remote alarm. When viewed from the outside of the box (through the protective vents), the speaker appears to be made of copper foil.

I have no clue what to look for even if the part was described to me, so would someone please be kind enough to provide a link for a small volume control knob I could splice in that would be appropriate for this application. Ideally I'd like to drill a small hole and mount it so the knob protrudes through to the outside of the plastic box.

Thanks!
By jremington
The "speaker" is a piezo disk transducer.

You could use an ordinary potentiometer as a volume control, but I don't know what value would give the best volume versus knob rotation range. They come in various physical sizes and resistance ranges.

Try 10K or 1K Ohms to start with. Split either of the green wires, and solder one end to the potentiometer center terminal and the other end to the left terminal, viewed from the shaft end of the potentiometer.
By bradleyheathhays
Actually some have suggested I put in place some fixed resistance resistors but I'm not sure what I would be looking for. Could someone suggest what type of resistor might apply in my case? Or what resistance possibly?