SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By geometrixeng
Hey All,

I want to make a better vehicle systems monitor for my 2014 MINI Countryman S with a 4D Systems LCD. There is a perfect area just above my tachometer as there are some available screw holes just behind the tach.

I would like to show speed, RPM, coolant temp, oil pressure, engine load, and definitely fuel input. I can easily create gauges and a whole bunch of very cool stuff with a 4D Systems touch screen with several pages of information that I can easily program using VisiGenie.

I am slightly confused about what I need from Sparkfun. When I search sparkfun.com for "OBDII", there are 4 results. If I search for "OBD-II", I get one more result...the CAN Bus.

So can I just use the OBD-II to DB9 Cable and connect directly to an Arduino? Or do I need to put a SparkFun OBD-II UART between the OBD2 port on my car and the Arduino?

So I think that I should probably just purchase the SparkFun Car Diagnostics Kit Retail. I already have a uLCD-43PT and can connect to the serial port on the Arduino...will probably have to make a virtual serial port.

TIA,
--Neal