SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By neoid
Hi,

I've brought a coin acceptor from Sparkfun a while ago and have issues with some coins not being recognized, but still accepted. When I insert a coin, the display says E4 and while I wouldn't mind if the coin would be stopped, it's still accepted, but without any useful feedback from the device.

The manual says the following about the error:
"It displays E4 after deposit coin, it means that coin duration at collection gate is too long."

I'm not quite sure what it means by this. Does the coin travel too slow through the device? Do I have to tilt it slightly more? I think I've managed to level the device properly (the manual says it should be level by max 2 degrees) and I can't find any other reasons for this to happen. It happens randomly with every 2-5 coin so the result is not acceptable.

Anyone else who has encountered this issue? As said, I wouldn't mind the error, but I'm unable to stop the coins for going through when the error appears which is a huge flaw with this device. Any tips would be really appreciated. :)
By neoid
After playing around for a while I tried to connect the coin acceptor to RealTerm as shown in the video by Sparkfun. I've copied all the settings, but when I insert a coin the ERROR flag lights up for a second. I can't see that happening on the video, so I assume that maybe my cable is faulty or something? If I enter a 1 Norwegian Krone (configured as 1), it returns 6 0.