SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Microguy
Mangevision offers the free Phrase-A-Lator speech-creation software for the SpeakJet chip. You can easily create phrases from a dictionary of words the software provides. Use CAUTION.

1. When you copy and paste a dictionary word into the Phrase Editor window, be careful. Every word has a preface of "configuration information" in decimal format. You only need this info once when you start a phrase or sentence. Duplicating it in each dictionary word code waster memory space and SpeakJet time. Here are the configuration values:
20, 96, 21, 114, 22, 88, 23, 5. This information sets volume, speed, pitch, and "bend."

2. After you paste a dictionary word into the Phrase Editor click the "View Code" button at the bottom right corner of the screen to get the values for that word. Code for the word "please" look like this:

20, 96, 21, 114, 22, 88, 23, 5, 199, 7, 145, 128, 167, 199, 7, 145, 128, 167.

This set of values will cause the chip to speak "please" TWICE! I have underlined the second "please," which you can remove. After you configure the chip by sending the configuration values, you need only the section of values in bold type to cause the chip to say "please." I have no idea why the programmers did this to dictionary words. It's a pain.

I run my SpeakJet chip with a Parallax Propeller QuickStart board and code written in C.