SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By squaresquid
Hi,

I have installed 3 MP3 triggers (WIG-3720) at a museum, in 3 different, but near identical installations (same MP3 files).
They operate via an arduino MEGA and sounds are played via the mp3Trigger class (David Wicks).
On 2 of the installations everything works fine, on the third after a period the sound stops working, rest of the system works.
After a power down and restart of the whole system, it will work again for some time.
I have updated to the latest firmware, before installing.
I found in the forum that some early versions of the boards a small number where suffering from a similar problem.

Since the installations and museum are not easily accessible I want to make sure I can search for the error in the right way when I get there.
The mp3 triggers are connected to an amplifier.
My plan for error checking is as follows:

When the sound is not playing I will try the following to narrow down the problem:
1. See if the green led on the board is on, when activating sound via arduino.
2. Try to play sound with the onboard play button.
3. Try to attach mobile to amplifier to check amplifier output
4. Try to power OFF/ON only the MP3 trigger
5. Try to reset the arduino.

Do any of you have any comments and/or suggestions?

Best regards, Per
By robertsonics
The previous issue affecting MP3 Triggers was related to no audio immediately after powering up. This does not sound like that problem. I'm not aware of any ongoing issue with MP3 Triggers that would cause them to stop working after a period of time. Yours sounds more like a problem with that particular unit or installation, possibly heat related?

Your approach to narrowing down the problem sounds reasonable to me.