SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By dprefont
I'm using the SparkFun PGM-11801 Tiny Programmer with an ATtiny85-20PU controller. As per the SparkFun instructions, I believe I have installed the device correctly with the speed set to 1Mpbs, etc. When I upload to the Tiny from Arduino IDE v1.6.13, several errors are displayed but the program runs successfully. Re-powering the breadboard with the programmed chip results in successful operation, too.
I tested the program on the Arduino UNO Rev.3 before trying it on the Tiny so I know there are no issues.
Configuration: Test a single 74HC595 connected to a SparkFun COM-094837-segment 4-digit display. Test only the left-most digit. Use 110 or 220 ohm resistor to VCC and pin 1 of the display for the left-most digit..
==========================
The program is a simple test:
// ATtiny85
int latchPin = 2; // pin 12 on the 595: ST_CP, RCLK . Physical pin 7 on Tiny.
int dataPin = 3; // pin 14 on the 595: DS, DIO. Physical pin 2 on Tiny.
int clockPin = 4; // pin 11 on the 595: SH_CP, SCLK. Physical pin 3 on Tiny.
// Numbers 0 to 9 for common anode 4-digit 7-segment LED display from SparkFun: COM-09483 (YSD-439AR6B-35).
int TenCounter[] = {64,121,36,48,25,18,2,120,0,24};
void setup() {
pinMode(latchPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(dataPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(clockPin, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
for (int a=0; a<=9; a++) {
digitalWrite(latchPin, LOW);
shiftOut(dataPin, clockPin, MSBFIRST,TenCounter[a]);
digitalWrite(latchPin, HIGH);
delay(500);
}
}
=====================================
The errors are weird:
In file included from C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.16\cores\arduino/Stream.h:26:0,
from C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.16\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.h:29,
from C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.16\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:232,
from sketch\test.ino.cpp:1:
C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.16\cores\arduino/Print.h:32:0: warning: "BIN" redefined
#define BIN 2
^
In file included from c:\users\dp\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\include\avr\iotn85.h:38:0,
from c:\users\dp\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\include\avr\io.h:428,
from c:\users\dp\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\include\avr\pgmspace.h:90,
from C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.16\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:28,
from sketch\test.ino.cpp:1:
c:\users\dp\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2\avr\include\avr\iotnx5.h:55:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
#define BIN 7
^
Sketch uses 784 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
Global variables use 29 bytes of dynamic memory.

Does anyone have any idea why the weird errors? I would like to move ahead with designing the physical board to include the Tiny85 but not if it's going to continue to act weird.

Thanks,

dp
By jremington
There is not a "weird error". It is simply a warning informing you that the compile-time constant BIN is being redefined.

If everything works in the end, then the redefinition is probably appropriate.

As to why the warning occurs, perhaps you have installed a mixture of up-to-date and older software. That is a very old version of the Arduino IDE.
By dprefont
I took the various bits of advice and did the following:
- Uninstalled Arduino IDE v1.6.13 and cleaned out all of the folders after ensuring my sketches would be preserved. I expect most of the drivers needed for the other devices will have to be reinstalled at a later date.
- Deleted the Arduino15 folder under Users\... and C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino
- Installed the v1.8.0 IDE
- Followed SparkFun's installation instructions for their product: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11801
- The ATtiny85 could not be found in the Board Manager until the following were added in File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spark ... index.json,
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/damel ... index.json
(These are the same actions I performed originally and are here for others who may have run into installation problems.)

Anyway, to the point: the download to the Tiny worked without any errors or unusual (to me) messages. Thanks for your help.