SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By VE3JOC
I just finished assembling my new Sparkfun Shapeoko Deluxe. I followed the video and I believe that I have it wired up properly. In the video is says after finishing the assembly, start up Universal Gcode Sender, go to Machine Control and click on the X, Y and Z axis buttons to move the machine and be sure that it is working properly.

When I run Universal Gcode Sender it opens and says that my Port is Com 3, Baud is 9600 and Firmware GRBL. When I go to Machine Control and I click on one of the axis buttons I get a dialog box that says “Grbl has not finished booting”. The CNC does not move. I have the power plugged in and the USB cable is plugged in.
In the video I see that the Active State says "Running" but on mine it is empty.

Can anyone tell me why I am getting this and how to remedy the problem? I would really like to try the machine out.
By VE3JOC
I looked at the Wiki and when I ran the Universal Gcode Sender it automatically set the port to com 3 which is the only port in the drop down anyway. I set the baud rate to 115200 and the Firmware was set to GRBL as shown in the Wiki.
I then clicked the "Open" button and in the console pane it said **** Connected to COM3@115200 Baud ****. I did not get the "Grbl 1.0.9 ['$' for help]" as shown in the Wiki and the Active State is empty as opposed to 'idle' as shown in the Wiki.

I then entered '$$' in the command line and again I got the dialog box stating: "Grbl has not finished booting!". What Grbl is it trying to boot? Am I missing a file or something? Also, just to be sure, should the E-Stop switch be set to "On" or "Off"?

Starting to get frustrated!
By VE3JOC
I just checked for the cnc in my devices list and it is shown as FT232R USB UART Location: 0 (Port_#0003.Hub_#0001). Under Properties it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). This is likely the problem so where do I get the drivers for this device?
By VE3JOC
Thanks darrellg but I already looked at that.

I downloaded the FTDI driver , went to Device Manager and under “Other” it showed the device as FT232R USB UART. I right clicked and selected update drivers, selected find the driver manually, and browsed to the file location and clicked “Next”. It came back stating “Cannot find a driver for your device”.

I went back online and re-downloaded the driver to be sure that I had the Windows 7 64 bit version . The driver that I downloaded is Windows x64 (64-bit) 2.12.24. Then I tried it again. This time in the device manager it shows up as Unknown Device instead of FT232R USB UART . If I try to update the drivers manually again navigating to the new drivers I get the same error, “Cannot find a driver for your device.” I also noticed that when I go to “View Devices” the icon says USB Serial Port COM5 whereas previously it said of USB Serial Port COM3.
By VE3JOC
Sent an email to Sparkfun Tech Support yesterday at 12:20 p.m. As of 4:02 p.m. today, no response from Sparkfun! I tried live chat but their live chat is offline. No phone numbers available to call for help. I played around with the CNC some more but I am becoming more and more convinced that it is a faulty circuit board.

I don't know when or if I'll get this thing working.