SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By pkdiesel14
Hi Everyone, I am new here. I hope I have posted this in the right forum. I have tried everything I could find so far online to communicate and upload the blynk program to my new ESP8266 Thing Dev board as part of the Microsoft Azure IOT starter kit. The code compiles correctly, but I continue to get the following error message:

*******************************************************************************************
Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 7), Board: "SparkFun ESP8266 Thing Dev, 80 MHz, 115200"

Sketch uses 250,841 bytes (57%) of program storage space. Maximum is 434,160 bytes.
Global variables use 32,996 bytes (40%) of dynamic memory, leaving 48,924 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81,920 bytes.
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
I suspect a com port setup issue somewhere. I only have the choice of COM3. When I look in my Windows device manager, I see under Other Devices: FT231X USB UART with a yellow question mark when I connect the ESP8266 Dev board. When I reconnect an Arduino board to the same USB input in my computer, it is recognized immediately.

When I try to "Get Board Info" from the Arduino Tools menu - I receive the message: "Native Serial Port, can't obtain info"

I am just not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks