SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By VitasJol
Hello, I am using the SparkFun 6 Degrees of Freedom Breakout - LSM6DS3 for a project. I've used it in the past as well and have always the device's capabilities. My new application requires that I power on/off the sensor despite its ultra low power consumption. I have the pull up resistors enabled on the I2C line and the circuit works as expected when the sensor is powered on, with the ability to read sensor data as expected.

The issue comes when I power off the sensor. The I2C lines are pulled low, preventing communication to other peripherals on the bus. Does the breakout board and/or sensor in general support this mode of operation? I'd like to avoid powering on the sensor at all times, because there are other sensors that I power on/off on the same power line. It seems like the sensor is pulling down the I2C lines when it is powered off, which I did not think should be the case. I was hoping someone would have worked on a similar project in the past. Thanks for any insight you can provide!