SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Ender06
I purchased a couple of the MSGEQ7 chips and am attempting to get them to work with your sound reactive animation code here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ad ... visualizer

My idea is to have the MSGEQ7 filter the incoming audio (from a small mic), and select one of the lower bands to react to, like a low pass filter, but more accurate.

The problem I've run into is when I attempt to combine the spectrum reading code with the music and sound visualizer code the chip outputs gibberish.

If I try the tutorials for the MSGEQ7 I can get it to output the values properly, but when I attempt to combine the two codes the chip no longer outputs properly... I assume this is because the chip is very timing specific, and the visualizer code is screwing with the timing? (I'm even trying to have the arduino reset the chip every time it reads the chip, but with no success so far.)

I started out with a 32u4 based board, and moved to a M0+ based board to see if beefing up the processor would help. No dice... Has someone found a solution to using the MSGEQ7 with heavier/slower code?