SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By supuflounder
I am using the TinyAVR programmer on a "bare" AtTiny167 board. I mean, really bare. I had proto-advantage solder a Tiny167 chip to a breadboard adapter. I have wired Vcc and Gnd using a 10uF and a 100nf capacitor between the power and ground pins. I soldered a standard 6-pin male header to the six pins on the end of the TinyAVR board so I can conveniently plug it into a stanard breadboard. Using your schematic of the TinyAVR, I have connected MISO, MOSI, SCK, Gnd and RST to the pins of the processor; it is a 20-SOIC Package, so MISO is pin 3, MOSI is pin 7, SCK is pin 8, Gnd is pin 16, and RST is pin 11. I did not connect Vcc because the chip is powered by a 3.0 volt battery and uses many 3.3V sensors, and has no voltage regulator on it (it lives in a 3V world) and injecting 5V to the bus would be deleterious. I am using Mac OSX "El Capitan", and the Arduino IDE 1.6.12 (the latest, I believe). I face two problems: when I plug the tinyAVR programmer in it does not appear as a port in the Arduino IDE port selection. And I have no board definition file. OK, I can call it a 32U4 and the programmer will be selected as AVRISP, but none of this helps me if I don't have a port. I need this board functional this week. We have been doing prototyping on a stock Arduino UNO, so we are reasonably confident the software will work, if we can get it there. Any ideas? (I have also sent this directly to Sparkfun Tech Support)
By supuflounder
I have followed all the instructions I was pointed to, and have not been able to download. I modified the correct version of avrdude.conf, added the recommended section, got the board definitions, and got the following message:

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/flounder/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbmodem1421
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/cu.usbmodem1421": No such file or directory
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device

avrdude done. Thank you.

This is not what I was told to expect. I have no idea how to get a program downloaded using your TinyAVR programmer.

joe