SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ace.johnny
I inadvertantly uploaded a sketch to my Pro Micro with settings for a Leonardo. Luckily this didn't brick it, and I was able to re-upload a sketch with the correct settings, however the bootloader now appears to have the wrong PID.

Windows Device Manager correctly recognizes the sketch PID as "SparkFun Pro Micro" but the bootloader (during upload) is incorrectly recognized as "Arduino Leonardo bootloader".

The IDE Board Info reports...
BN: Unknown board
VID: 1B4F
PID: 9206

The IDE has the "Tools > Burn bootloader" command, but I'm not sure that's the appropriate method since I don't have a hardware programmer or another separate Arduino to use as a programmer.

I've also found the "sparkfun\avr\bootloaders\caterina" directory that contains the bootloader source, and I've read the directions therein, but I'm not sure that's the appropriate method either.

Does it even matter? I'm still able to upload a sketch (at least a simple RX Blink), but I don't know if this could cause compatibility issues, and I'd like to learn how to fix my mistake without making things worse. I'm not incompetent, just a rank Arduino amateur.

Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

Win10 x64, IDE 1.6.12, Pro Micro 5V/16MHz
By ptrav
I have the opposite problem:

Pro Micro & Fio V3 Hookup Guide
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pr ... q#ts-reset
says:

How Can I Change the VID and PID on an ATMega32U4 Board?

Every time you upload code the VID and PID are uploaded to the device. These values are located in the ‘boards.txt’ file and will therefore be determined by the board you have selected. Keep in mind that if you select the wrong board you will get the wrong VID/PID uploaded which means the computer can’t recognize, and program the board. The VID/PID for the bootloader is part of the bootloader file. To change this you will need to recompile the bootloader with the new VID/PID, and upload it.

The board has VID/PID 2341/8037 and I need C1ED/2312 to make my stupid "smart TV" believe it is a keyboard after all.

I have modified the boards.txt file:

micro.build.mcu=atmega32u4
micro.build.f_cpu=16000000L
micro.build.vid=0xc1ed
micro.build.pid=0x2312
micro.build.usb_product="Keyboard"
micro.build.board=AVR_MICRO
micro.build.core=arduino
micro.build.variant=micro
micro.build.extra_flags={build.usb_flags}

-- compiled and uploaded a sketch.
The board still shown as 2341/8037, nothing changed. A web search produced no useful links.

Could anybody enlighten the newbie or point to a decent tutorial how to change VID/PID and specifically a step-by-step instruction how to update bootloader on Pro Mini?