SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By dlpaul
Using the USB-to-RS232 adaptor + level shifter I have no problem to send command , can't get any response from the Trigger. My colleague got the FTDI USB-to-TTL adaptor and was able to receive response from the Trigger.

I would definitely appreciate if you could test it out as our driver events depends on responses from Trigger board.
By robertsonics
I had to order a MAX232 based level shifter and need to locate an RS-232 USB interface. I will update this thread one way or another after I've had a chance to try and duplicate this. If you need answers sooner than I'm able to follow up, I suggest contacting SparkFun tech support. They should already have the necessary supplies to look into this.
By dlpaul
I followed your advise and send email to tech support but if its the firmware issue I am not sure if they be able to help. I've noticed that few times Trigger spilled some garbage response after playback stopped, but its inconsistent and it was not a message I should see.
By robertsonics
I've tested both the MP3 Trigger and the WAV Trigger with a USB-to-RS232 adaptor and a MAX232-based level shifter, and both work fine - I get proper responses back from both boards. I've done this both with RealTerm for the MP3 Trigger, and my WAV Trigger Remote Control app for the latter. Here's what I used:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11304

http://www.mikroe.com/add-on-boards/com ... on/max232/

The USB-to-RS232 adaptor came from SparkFun and the level shifter was purchased from Digikey. When connected to the MP3 Trigger using RealTerm, the S0 command returns the version string, and when connected to the WAV Trigger using the Remote Control app, the "Get Info" button correctly returns the version string, number of voices and number of tracks.

At this point, I don't know what to tell you, since I can't duplicate your problem. Make sure you have the correct baud rate selected, and turn off Hardware Flow Control in RealTerm.

Also, with this particular level-shifter, I had to supply 5V on the TTL side. This is easy with the WAV Trigger since it has a 5V output, but I had to come up with a separate 5V source when using it with the MP3 Trigger.

I can guarantee it's not a firmware issue.
By robertsonics
What I said. The WAV Trigger can provide 5V on the serial connector (if you close the "5V" solder jumper.) The MP3 Trigger does not. Either the schematic (available on the MP3 Trigger product page) or a volt meter will show you that the pin labeled "USBVCC" is an input, not an output.