SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By dereckbc
Hey guys newbie here. I am an Electrical Engineer, RC Pilot, Ham Radio Operator of 40 years. My electrical expertise is in Radio and Power Distribution. Really good prototype circuit building back in my 20's and 30's, but was all analog discrete components. Not much into writing code, but can struggle threw it and modify it to fit my needs .

Anyway what I want to do is take my USB Flight Joystick, convert the USB output to 6-Channel RC PPM so I can plug the Converter into my Specktrum DX6 Radio Transmitter. The TX requires a RC PPM input via the Trainer Port, and I want 6-channels which should fit inside a 50 Hz frame rate nicely.

I know this can be done and has been done some time ago, and details are lost in Links that do not work anymore. But what I do not know exactly is what boards it takes. From what I understand it will take a USB Host Shield, and I think one other circuit board to convert the USB SPI output to PPM. Oh and a power source which I plan to use to Lithium cells in parallel to provide 6.4 volts and regulate down to 5 volts and 3.3 volts.

Can someone please help me out by at least telling me what hardware I will need. Add a Link to some code, and you are on my Xmas Card List. :)

THX

Dereck