SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By DanJ
I purchased a Sparkfun Pro Micro because of it's HID Keyboard Emulation. I need a recommendation on a USB to Serial Bridge to connect to the Pro Micro or any other ideas to complete this project.
My project is a Barcode/2D hand held scanner and a PC running Barcode software. I need to scan QR Codes and the PC software only reads Barcodes. The Scanner reads the QR Code and stores it into one large {string}, the barcode software can only read one bar code at a time even when it receives 0x0D and 0x0A in the data. So what I have done is I am using the Pro-Micro as a data buffer to send each PLU number one at a time with a 500ms delay between each PLU code through the HID Keyboard emulation lib and it works very well.
So this is where I need the Bridge to connect the scanner to the Pro-Micro, the Scanner can do both HID and RS-232 modes, I have already tested the RS-232 serial mode. I cannot find any information on the Scanners UART and since the data is only going in one direction, I dont think that CTS, RTS would be an issue.
I found this bridge https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11814, before I drop another $30, I would like to make sure I am going in the right direction. Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.