SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By gggggggg
Hi am after a controller for my next IoT just for fun sensors around the house project.

I am after things to:
connect to WiFi to get their internet access and REST APIs
most of my things I am looking to power via USB cable connected to mains (old phone chargers)
most of my things will have 1 simple sensor on it (temp or light or rfid etc) and/or 1 simple action (rfid or sound or relay or LED etc)
I would love the things to have a small amount of storage locally, so I can store endpoint url, wifi key etc in configuration rather than code
I would love the things to have a small amount of storage locally, so I can store sensor values locally and batch upload them to save battery (especially for non mains power connected things)
some of my things might need an external WiFi aerial to get reception

I am thinking this thing. To me it reads like it will do all I want. Does this sound right?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13711

Is it the cheapest already assembled thing I can get? Is there anything better?

If i did want to power such a thing off of batteries, getting say simple temp sensor readings every 60mins, give or take how long should a set of eneloops last? Also, could I get a voltage reading also, so I can alert then batteries are needing replacing? While such a thing is off, how does it track time?

thanks