SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By lsandino
Hi!

I've recently got a RedBot (v13166). I tried all example sketches and everything went fine except for examples 8.1 and 8.2 corresponding to the Accelerometer. The code is compiled and uploaded OK, but the RedBot board enters in a restart loop before executing the setup() function.
Using pin 13 LED and the buzzer I've isolated the problem. It seems that the call to xlWriteBytes(...) function in the RedBotAccel constructor causes the restart. The weird thing is that I've plugged the accelerometer to another standard UNO board and everything works OK. Same code, same configuration, same everything. I tried different configurations in the Arduino IDE (UNO, Mini, etc.) when uploading to the RedBot board, with no luck.
I've also tried the example code for the MMA8452Q breakout board and, again, it works fine with the UNO but not with the RedBot board. Is this a hardware malfunction of the RedBot board? I doubt it because all code that doesn't include the RedBotAccel class works fine. Am I missing something?

This is driving me crazy :( Please help me!!!!

I'm using Arduino 1.6.10 in Windows 10.
Last edited by lsandino on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By lsandino
I' ve found the real problem. It actually was a hardware issue. There was a very tiny solder jumper between chip's pins 28 (A5/SCL pin) and 29 (Reset pin). It was so tiny that it was imperceptible to the naked eye. I found it looking with a magnifying glass. After I removed it mechanically with a cutter, everything works fine.

Case solved.