SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By alim
Hello everyone,
I have bought small stepper motor (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10551) from sparkfun. I will run this motor in one direction only and in a constant speed. Is there any way, I can run this motor without driver? This will reduce my product costs and complexity.
By lyndon
Without driver? What do you mean without a driver? It will need a source of current and a method of sequencing the steps. That's it!
By alim
I actually found the solution. Yes stepper motor can be run without a driver. You can find solution in youtube.
By jremington
You can find perpetual motion machines on youtube, too. No need for the stepper, the driver OR the power supply.
By Valen
alim wrote:I actually found the solution. Yes stepper motor can be run without a driver. You can find solution in youtube.
Do tell us too. The only one I know is of someone explaining the concept by manually flipping switches. In other words, he uses a biological stepper driver.
By alim
@Valen and all, sorry if I made you upset about this question. I was looking for a quick solution where I have to use stepper motor but I do not need to count steps. I know dc motor is the best choice here. However, the required rpm is low for my application and do not want to use dc motor which can burn if speed is too low. The dc motor with gear can solve this, but could not find right one, so I had to choose stepper motor.

In anyways, thanks for participating in this discussion.
By alim
Just want to mention that one have to use AC power source for this purpose. DC power source, one must use driver.
By lyndon
Ah. A/C supply with a phase shift network. Slo-Syn Synchronous/Stepper motors were designed to run that way. Optimized for both synchronous A/C and stepper operation.
By Valen
I'm not upset. Just curious what you found. The idea behind this forum is that we share knowledge. Just saying it's on youtube is like saying go find a needle in a haystack.