SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mkfries
I recently assembled the SparkPunk Sequencer (love it) and the SparkPunk Sound Generator. I have messed around with using the CV Out to control another synthesizer I own but I am interested in creating a new instrument to be controlled via the SparkPunk Sequencer. In the product demonstration video, Nick Poole is using the CV Out to control lights on an RBG Matrix with Arduino. I am having trouble taking my first step into doing so and was wondering if anyone could help give me a nudge in the right direction with the appropriate sample code or information regarding how to have an Arduino read the CV Out and subsequently use that data to trigger things such as LEDs or, for my specific purposes, drum samples. (My end-game is to use the SparkPunk Sequencer to prototype a sequencer drum machine.)
Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice!
Last edited by mkfries on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By darrellg
You could use the ADC on an Arduino to sample the voltage and trigger actions based on ranges withing that voltage. However, since the CV on the sequencer can be up to 7.5V (according to the hookup guide), you'd need to set up a voltage divider or something to limit that to 5V max.
By mkfries
Thanks, darrellg. That would explain my lack of luck plugging straight into the ADC. My next question to all who care to answer is: how do I go about triggering actions in correspondence to ranges within the voltages? My ideal scenario would be, for instance, to have a hi-hat sample play for 0V-1.25V; a snare drum for 1.26V-2.5V; a bass drum for 2.6V-3.75V; and a tom for 3.76V-5V. Is there a good example of a project or sample code that I could derive this from?