SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By radio-hacker
I have a Sprkfun serial 7 segment display (pn COM-11442 ) and would like to reprogram the Atmel328 chip with a dedicated application.

The examples on the website seem to be about programming a Uno to send messages via UART, SPI or I2C and although there is a mention of reprogramming the embedded 328 details would appear to be missing. Is there a URL with such information or can some kind person guide me.

I am quite comfortable at programming an Arduino Uno from a PC either via the USB serial or via the ICSP header and a USBasp to replace the bootloader.

I have added the 7 segment display to the board types supported, but cannot find any information on how to connect up the programmer to the board. What do I select as the programmer and what do I connect it to. There does not appear to be an ICSP header so no idea how to re-flash the bootloader.

Do I need to wire up the ICSP direct onto the ATmel chip pins?

Thanks

Peter
I have two unresponsive serial display,s one showing a 0 and the other 1234 seems something is wrong. One other functions like it should.

I went to the Github page and downloaded the zipfile, adding this to Arduino 1.8.2-windows failed with the following message: Specified folder/zip file does not contain a valid library so I extracted the folder to the libraries folder.

Adding the board info to the boards.txt and opening Serial 7 Segment Display Firmware resulted into: error compiling for board Serial 7-Segment Display.

I am confused about how to properly install this library. I am running Arduino from the Windows Store on a W10 installation
The problem is that the documentation and firmware supplied does not match Arduino 1.6.13

Forget the Add-on mentioned on the product page May 19 2017, go to File preferences and add the following link in the Additional Boards Manager URL’s: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spark ... index.json
Click ok and go to Tools, Board, Board Manager and install the sparkfun boards. These should appear now in the selection box of the Boards. Select Sparkfun Serial 7-Segment Display

The library does not match the specified format since Arduino 1.5.x so we need Sparkfun to fis this.

My short term solution is to see if my Vista Arduino installation is still working, that should be old enough.
By pilot
One step further, there are a lot of SevSeg libraries in old and new versions. The right one is this one.

https://github.com/sparkfun/SevSeg gets you the right SevSeg library, download it make no change whatsoever and in manage libraries inzlude zip library. Now it builds, loads and shows the preloaded 1234 on the display but is not showing the I2C message sent to the display. The serial communication shows the numbers sent to the display.

Two other displays, one brand new do both show the I2C welcome message from my sketch so there must be a difference somewhere.

So far I got the software train working so should be able to find the last step too.
The final step is that loading the Arduino Sketch will not affect the eeprom value of the TWI adress when this has a legitimate value, (between 1 and 127)
So in my case the I2C communication did not work due to a wrong TWI adress. By using eeprom clear before loading the sketch it puts the default value in place. That solved the problem.

So in short for Arduino 1.6.13:
- Forget about the add-on, load all Sparkfun boards
- Install the right SevSeg library
- Use eeprom clear before loading the firmware

Good luck with your projects