SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ECEngineer
Hi everyone,

I recently attached my Edison boards to a stack of Sparkfun boards including the:
- Battery block
- Base block
- 9DOF block
- uSD card block

I soldered a JST connector onto the battery block and attached a 2000mAh Li-Ion battery. Basically, this setup has been working for me for the past month with no problems and yesterday one of my Intel Edison boards heated up significantly to the point where I smelled it burning, and in fact it burnt my finger when I touched it. Today, the board no longer works at all.

The odd thing is that my second board which is in similar conditions began heating up significantly today as well. I moved it off of the stack and put it onto the large Arduino breakout board with no connections other than the serial connection to the console and the power jack, and it is still heating up significantly to the point where I'm scared of leaving on and frying it.

This appears to be a hardware issue and seems as though the batteries may have issue... Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of sparkfun batteries overcharging and causing problems like this? Any and all ideas are welcome!
By sarobenalt
I am experiencing similar problems with a much simpler configuration. I just brought up a new Edison for the first time with only a base block and USB power. The Edison got very hot, so I have removed it from power and am letting it sit. I don't want to bring it back up to see if it still works until I have some idea what the problem is.

I have 2 other Edisons, one on an Arduino Breakout board and another on a SparkFun stack currently including a Base Block and a 9 dof. Neither of them are running hot.

This question appears to have been ignored. Hopefully we can get an answer soon? Since my board config is simpler, maybe that helps with isolating the problem?
By Ross Robotics
Sparkfun employees very rarely read this forum. This forum is for help with projects and programming. If you think your product is defective, you need to go to their support page.