SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By sloth
Hello, i am a newbie wanting to learn this arduino thing for some specific end results, i dont mind learning as i go but would like to start and stay on target.

I am building my own rv, and want to to computerize it. Have sensors in the water tanks, monitor battery voltages, temps, manage the fan on the fireplace, lift the windows, etc, i want to learn python as i go doing this, as some end results will tie in with that language but at such an advanced level that i must learn python...

So I thought perhaps, there is a kit to use python, arduino boards or shields, to play with some servos amd sensors and log that data?

I am curious what kits, boards, components etc people might suggest to begin this project? If no pre byilt kit suits my needs i certainly am open to all options.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, advice, or ideas :)

Sloth

I
By Ross Robotics
Buy a starter kit and blink an LED. Surprising that most people skip this step.
By sloth
Ardunio can function under python control, i have seen this in a multi part tutorial.

I have made, leds blink before on various platforms. Im not wanting to run in circles spending time learning "basics" that i already understand. Or even thing i dont fully understand, i would rather learn on the go directed in the direction my project needs. Idk being old and sick, makes wasting time learning the proper way.. less attractive, however i have decades of nerd experiance to help me learn on the go, if I can teach myself to repair a air force drone...im sure i can figure this tech out with out having to start with blinking 1 led, and limiting my self to arduinos root language.

As stated above, i really need to begin with servos, sensors, and storage. While working under a python shell.
Obviously some shields will benifit more than others, perhaps even a kit? Certain python things might make my experiance quicker as well.

Thats thetype of feedback i request. Please save the start at the bottom and slowly work up. Or the, this will never work type arguments, unless they come paired with a soulution. Thanks ;)
By Ross Robotics
Good luck!
By skimask
sloth wrote:Ardunio can function under python control, i have seen this in a multi part tutorial.
So...you've got your tutorial. Go with it.
Thats thetype of feedback i request. Please save the start at the bottom and slowly work up. Or the, this will never work type arguments, unless they come paired with a soulution. Thanks ;)
:) Keep us posted.
By sterretje
sloth wrote:Ardunio can function under python control, i have seen this in a multi part tutorial.

I have made, leds blink before on various platforms. Im not wanting to run in circles spending time learning "basics" that i already understand. Or even thing i dont fully understand, i would rather learn on the go directed in the direction my project needs. Idk being old and sick, makes wasting time learning the proper way.. less attractive, however i have decades of nerd experiance to help me learn on the go, if I can teach myself to repair a air force drone...im sure i can figure this tech out with out having to start with blinking 1 led, and limiting my self to arduinos root language.

As stated above, i really need to begin with servos, sensors, and storage. While working under a python shell.
Obviously some shields will benifit more than others, perhaps even a kit? Certain python things might make my experiance quicker as well.

I can't advise on what to buy; I'm just a programmer ;) Having said that, I have the SparkFun Inventor Kit; you can have a look at it to see if it suites your needs to get familiar with servos etc. It contains a servo and an example code for the servo,

Yes, you can control a (Arduino based) device using python. You however still have to write an Arduino application (in C/C++ or assembly) that understands whatever is send (sent?) from the python application and makes your device do something based on the received 'commands' (e.g. 'led ON' and 'led OFF').

Note that you did not state your experience from the past; hence the general advice that you have received to start with e.g. 'blink'.

PS
What is an 'rv'?
By Valen
If it must be Python then the Raspberry Pi would be more appropriate. The Raspbian OS-image comes with python programming libraries. It basically a mini-computer. So that amount of processing power comes with a power consumption price tag vs. an Arduino. It has 3.3volt GPIO pins which can control or communicate with various electronic devices. But it is linux based, so that could be another element in the learning curve.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13673

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/raspberry-gpio
Last edited by Valen on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By sterretje
Valen wrote:
sterretje wrote: PS
What is an 'rv'?
Recreational vehicle. (Nederlands: Camper ;) )
How the hell do you know I'm Dutch? Do you hear my Dutch accent in my posts ;)