SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By B_Free42
Hello, I have some questions concerning the FLiR Lepton camera module.

First, am I correct in understanding that it can be used to roughly read the temperature of an object's surface? I realize at 80 x 60 pixels that you wouldn't be able to find temperatures at exact points, but would it be fair to say that the camera can read the average temperature along the surface of whatever each pixel sees?

Second, I was wondering what temperature range it can read. The datasheet lists operating temperature range, but at what point is something so hot that the entire image is essentially overexposed? I was thinking to use this to image the build plate of my 3D printer. It's supposed to be 110 degrees Celsius, and I'd like to find out how close to the edge you can get before the temperature goes down.

Thank you very much for your time!
By jacquelbot
On page 42 of the FLIR Lepton's datasheet, it has a specification that the maximum range of temperatures that can be distinguished inside a scene is 0 - 400 degrees Kelvin. So looking at a 110 degC object in a roughly room temperature (23degC-ish?) place would only give you a swing of 87 degC (or degK), I think it should work great!