SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ethanol
Hi!

I'm having problem uploading code to my EL sequencer. I've browsed thru the forum and have seen similar problems but none of the solutions have so far worked for me. When I try uploading code (after selecting LilyPad Arduino board,ATmega328, and usbserial etc with a 5V FTDI cable from Sparkfun) I get the following message:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "LilyPad Arduino, ATmega328"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
/Users/pablomartin/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Users/pablomartin/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.usbserial-A600AQEO -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/g0/zts4rg0x157_rh_knvmdc8q40000gn/T/build272885081506708336.tmp/sketch_jan11a.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 16:30:25
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/pablomartin/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/pablomartin/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbserial-A600AQEO
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

I did notice that my EL sequencer doesn't have a switch to choose between FTDI and XBee. It must be an early version? I'm hoping that's not a problem. My "sketch" is blinking an LED, on pin A2, which I'm positive is not the problem. I've tried in 2 different computers (Mac and Linux), with 2 different FTDI cables. And my pins 0 and 1 are not connected to anything. Just ran out of ideas on what to try next. If anybody can guide me in the right direction I'd appreciate it! Thanks

ethanol
By Kaleberg
It's a year later, and I'm running into that problem with a newly purchased EL Sequencer too. I haven't found a reliable fix, but I have managed to get some code loaded. The trick is to press the reset button on the board at the same time as one presses the command to do the code upload. It takes a little finger work, and it is not 100% reliable, but it works often enough for me not to give up.

I'm using the FTDI cable interface, so I'm guessing that whatever is supposed to do the auto-reset isn't doing the auto-reset. Unlike the Lilypad and a number of other Arduino-like processors, the EL Sequencer seems to have a narrow reset window. You really have to do the timing right. It helps to set verbose output during uploads from the Arduino IDE preferences panel so you can see if it is getting error messages or happy ####s for a good upload and verify.

Here's hoping the Sparkfun folks can fix this in version 3.