SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By 142victoria
Hi
I wish to put a set of eight different sound " looped voices" as backing tracks on each of the channels, each set numbered from say 1 to 8
The sound sets will of course be numbered for the appropriate midi channel i.e.: 01 to 08, 101 to 108 etc.

If I program the Wav Triggers on boards trigger pins, to play the voice 1 to 8 when trigged.
The question is can the programmed trigger pin sound set be played / trigged, whilst also playing a midi key board?
If I change midi channel will the programmed pins sound set also change to the numbered sound set for that played midi channel?

Sam
By robertsonics
The input triggers work independently from, and in addition to, MIDI input, so you can use both at the same time. "Banks", however, are a MIDI concept and the triggers don't change track assignments when you change MIDI banks. While not quite the same, you can use alternate trigger functions to create a single trigger input that will loop sequential tracks in a specific range.

One problem you may run into is that the triggers and MIDI share voices. If you start a track with a trigger, and then play MIDI chords with the MIDI release time (sustain) set high, then when the voice stealing algorithm needs to steal a voice, it will eventually steal the one playing the trigger track. Of course, if you limit yourself to playing few enough simultaneous notes that you don't run out of voices, this won't happen.

I'm working on firmware that adds the independent concept of "Loops", which are true seamless loops and don't overlap with voices.