SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By brasilkavala
Hello to all.
I need some relays for the outputs of my designs. My load will be a group of lights, with total power of some 900W, which is some 4A at 230V AC. Looking at the data sheet of the JZC-11F miniature relay "Relay SPDT Sealed", it is listed that it has a contact rating of 5A 250V AC. Does this mean that I can use this relay to drive a load of up to 1250Watt?
I tried to find the answer alone but I got confused with terms like switching capacity and switching power. Why the MAX operating power listed in the data sheet is 1250VA and not 1250Watt?

Thank you for all your comments :)
By jverive
Are your lights incandescent lamps? If so, this relay should be able to handle the load current (assuming the specifications can be trusted).

Because relays are often used to switch motors and other loads that have significant inductance, the VA term is used. If the load is purely resistive, the two terms Watts and VA are interchangeable. Most incandescent lamps are considered almost purely resistive, so your load is probably well within the relay's capabilities.
By brasilkavala
Yes, we have incandescent lamps. I have tested the relay, it seems to operate without any issues, too!

Thank you indeed for your reply!