SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By huzar
Hi,

I recently purchased Edison with mini breakout board and it work OK. I then bought few Sparkfun blocks, battery block among them. But I have trouble with booting up Edison. USB cable is attached, blue power led is on, red charging led is on (battery is not attached), but edison is probably not booting. It does not connect to my wifi. when moved back to original mini breakout, it boots up and connects to Wifi. It does nothing with Battery block. I also added GPIO block. It says that it is possible to power the stack through GPIO pins. So I attached 3.3V to VSYS, blue led on battery block is on, red is not, but nothing happens. Edison is still not booting up. Do I need another block to make it start? If so, how am I supposed to use is with just battery block and for example 9-axis?
By huzar
Issue partially solved by adding a battery.
I found out that VSYS is not stable enough for Edison to boot if Battery shield has no battery attached. I used Arduino's ADC to plot VSYS over time and it turned out there were large voltage drops in regular intervals. Looked like Edison was trying to boot, drew to much power and VSYS was going down to 2.7V. such large drop makes Edison abort boot, wait for voltage to go up (over 3.1V os something like that) and retry. This was also visible by observing red LED (charging) on the shield. It was fading (not blinking).
Now I have a battery attached and it acts as voltage stabilisation, so my Edison boots properly. If I disconnect the battery when Edison is working fine, it soon after fails and goes into this failed boot loop. It cannot work without attached.

Should this shield be capable of powering Edison without battery? I'm using powered USB hub rated at up to 2A, or a phone charger rated at up to 1200mA so I don't suspect these. Also, if power source is not able to support Edison on its own, then it won't be able to recharge battery, meaning it will drain slowly, and once in a while I will have to stop any development and wait for the battery to recharge.

Does anyone of you have such setup working? Maybe mine is broken or something.
By Torsten
I've the same issue here. I've bought the power block (same as the battery block but without the battery) and the edison is not booting. What's really annoying is that the product page clearly says "This board provides you with the option of [..] not having to use a battery at all"... that seems to be just wrong.