SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mprowe
Hi,

I would like to use the Sound Detector (SEN-12642) for an in-car project. However due to the high amounts of spurious audio noise, I would like to replace the electret microphone with a wholly electrical path.

The input to the Sound Detector is to be one of the speaker outputs from a small Bluetooth Audio amp. I am currently experimenting with this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDA7492P-50Wx ... SwPcVV2ORX. But this could be changed.

My question is this: How do I couple the high-power output from the BT amp to the very sensitive input on the Sparkfun Sound Detector? I wonder if a small transformer or opto-isolator would do the job? In addition to the electrical constraints, size is also important to me.

Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Martin
By jremington
The schematic diagram for the Sound Detector shows that you can change the gain of the input stage by adding a resistor at pads for R17. Adding a 1K resistor will result in a gain of a bit less than 1, which might be OK if the audio input levels are typical of line input (about 1 volt RMS). It would be best to use a line input source.

For the speaker output of the BT amp, use a multimeter to estimate the amplitude of the output signal at the volume you will be using (with a speaker connected), and make up a voltage divider to reduce that voltage to line input range for the detector. It would be around 20 VRMS for 50 watts into 8 ohm speakers (if you like it loud), so roughly 220K:10K resistors.
By mprowe
jremington wrote:... and make up a voltage divider to reduce that voltage to line input range for the detector...
Ah.. the simplest is the best! Thank you.
What about R1? Should I cut the track to remove the the DC bias?

Regards, Martin
By jremington
Yes, cut R1 - it is power for the microphone.

If all you want is a logic indicator that there is audio coming from the BT amplifier, just rectify the speaker output.
By mprowe
jremington wrote:If all you want is a logic indicator that there is audio coming from the BT amplifier, just rectify the speaker output.
Yes, that is all I want to know - that there is audio from the amp...
Let me just check my understanding of your suggestions?
Are you saying that I can do away with the Sound Detector by just connecting one of the speaker outputs to a bridge rectifier. If I then clip the max (rectified) output to 5v with a zener diode, I could read that state on a ATMega input.

Regards, Martin
By jremington
by just connecting one of the speaker outputs to a bridge rectifier
Yep. You should isolate the speaker outputs with a small cap on each input leg of the bridge rectifier (say 100 nF).

The audio level would have to peak at 4-5 V to give a valid logic signal. If much smaller, you could use a single transistor amplifier as a switch.
By mprowe
jremington wrote:Yep.
Thanks J(?),

I'm away for a few weeks now, but when I'm back, I'll breadbord this and see what I get.

Once again, many thanks, Martin
By mprowe
Hi again,
Still struggling with this "Squiggly analogue" stuff!!
On a slightly different tack, I now know that my test amplifier has a TDA7429P chip. Which on investigation, I find is a D-Class digital amplifier.
WooHoo... I thought. Back to "on's 'n off's" - I can cope with that!
I thought that all I need to do is: XOR the amp output plus & minus (+/-) signals and when I get a zero (as a result of a 50% duty cycle), I've got my silence?
Nope! Not working as expected!

I only have a Picoscope PC oscilloscope, so I'm not absolutely sure that I am able to "see" what is actually going on, so I'm relying on a very basic understanding of PWM techniques. Of course, this chip may be using a different modulation scheme anyway!!

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome.
Regards, Martin