SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By cdude1990
My Edison stack has Edison, battery, base, 9DOF, GPIO, dual HBridge, and OLED. I use the GPIO for a single GP input for a wheel encoder. I found that all of the GP pins conflict with other blocks. I learned that when one motor turned red hot :evil: and another was whistling :whistle:

So here's my thinking:

The motors use pins 14, 15, 47, 48, 49, so those are off limits to GPIO and OLED.

That means I can't use "up", "A", and "select" on the OLED, so I should cut those jumpers.

Also I will need one GP pin for the encoder, so the OLED will only have 3 left. I want to use the OLED for a menu. I can do that with just 3 buttons (down, right, left, for example). It's a little awkward, but workable.

Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to resolve pin conflicts? Are there any other conflicts I should be aware of?
By cdude1990
Here's the response from Sparkfun support:

Thank you for contacting us! I checked with the engineer for the OLED Block, and he believes that it is incompatible with the H-Bridge. On the H-Bridge, pins 14 and 15 connect to the level translator pins on the TXB0108. This controls the BIN1 and BIN2 inputs on the TB6612FNG motor, which in turn control channel B1 and B2, respectively. On the OLED Block, pins 14 and 15 control the D/C (Data/Command) pin, which controls the I2C address, and the Reset line. Both of these are necessary to the operation of the OLED Screen. You can read more about the OLED screen in the Micro OLED Breakout Hookup Guide. To make these two Blocks compatible would require only using motor A and cutting the traces that control motor B.