SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mistercam
Hello

Re: Flexiforce Pressure Sensor (1lb)

I'm designing a project that requires measuring the relative change in mass of something. It doesn't have to be precise. I also don't care about the actual mass of the object.

1) With this product, if I were to place a 1lb object on it, and then replace it with a 0.5lb object, can I expect to see the sensor register an approximate change in pressure of 50%?

2) Can anyone comment on what's the minimum incremental mass change I can expect to register reliably with this sensor?

3) Can anyone comment how this sensor holds up over time. If the sensor typically seats an object, will the sensor become less sensitive over time? E.g. I sit a 1lb object on the sensor for an extended period of time (let's say months.) I then replace it with a 0.8lb object. Will the sensor register the same decrease as it did on day 1?

Thanks!
-- Cam
By mistercam
I completely missed the links to the various PDF's on this item's product page.

It looks like questions 1 (linearity) and 3 (drift) are covered in the "User Manual", though I have to understand the numbers they provide. I'm sure question 2 is covered in one of the PDF's, too, though it's not as important to me, and can be figured out through experimentation.

Any comments on these questions (based on first-hand) experience would still be appreciated, especially if your experiences differ from what's outlined in the manual.

-- Cam