SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By nkurz
I'm a beginner putting together a solar system to charge a single 18650 battery. I have a nominal 18V panel that claims to produce 9.5W. I'd like to increase the charge current on the Sunny Buddy to take advantage of the available power. I'm not sure what the actual losses will be, but I'm hoping that in full sun I'll be able to charge with 2A at 4V (8W). Since I'm using protected 3600 mAh batteries, I think this should be a safe bulk charging current.

Since the LT3652 has a 2A spec, I thought I'd be able to accomplish this by simply adding an appropriate parallel resistor at R_SEN, but now I'm not sure. One of the comments on the sales page mentions "You may find that at 900mA your power inductor starts to saturate. That’s dangerously close to the 1.05A spec limit of the part". Is this referring to the "68 µH L1" on the schematic that is labelled "683C" on the board?

If so, I think that's this one (http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/dt1608c.pdf), but it's listed there as having a 0.29A current rating, which seems too low. Does "dangerously" in the quote mean "go up in flames" or "might not provide full current"? What would I need to do to modify a 12885 Sunny Buddy v1.3 to provide a safe 2A charging current? Thanks!
By Nicola1337
Up! I also would need to know what type of inductor is installed in the Sunny Buddy, in the documentation it's not listed. I can only find a 68uH inductance but peak current limit is not mentioned. What changes to the board I need to do if I want to set the Ichg(max) = 2A? I understood how to set Rsense resistor... But what else?

Best,
Nicola