SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By narukami
I am a noob and I have a problem that I think could be solved with the proper connector. But...I am not knowledgeable about ribbon cables or connectors and what appears to me as a simple solution may not be.

I have a hot tub with LED lights. These lights are connected to a board by way of a 10-wire flat ribbon cable (XINYA AWN 2651 28 AWG). There are about 8 branches of ribbon cable…one to each multi-colored light fixture. One branch of the ribbon cable was severed by mice eating through the cable. From my perspective, a simple splice/crimp connector is all that would be needed to re-connect the severed cable and have the lights on this branch working again. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this kind of connector. I've been searching on the internet, but the connectors don't seem appropriate. Most of the connectors I've been able to find for a flat 10-wire ribbon cable is an end connector that is inserted into the board. This is not the type of connector I need. Since I am not experienced with ribbon cables and connectors, I don't really know what a splice/crimp connector really looks like. The photos of the various types of connectors available don't provide sufficient detail for me to determine if they are appropriate for the solution I have in mind.

I've tried getting information from the hot tub manufacturer, but they have not provided an easy or cost-effective solution. This particular light is proprietary and is sold as a Unit, i.e, light and cable connections together. So even though the light itself is still intact, the manufacturer's solution is for me to replace the entire string and led light (a $300.00 cost) plus labor for installation by their authorized dealer. Neither the dealer or the manufacturer will provide me with the name of the part supplier or subcontractor building the proprietary parts. Even if I just wanted to replace the entire length of cable with the typical end connectors, I would need to remove the existing led light fixture. That would require me to dig through foam insulation just to gain access to the light and I'm not sure the cable can be replaced without removing the light from its setting.

I assume such connectors exist. If so, can anyone tell me who makes such a splice/crimp connector for this type of cable and where can I buy it? What does it look like?

If a splice/crimp connector does not exist, is there a two part (male/female end connectors that I can get to attache to each of the severed pieces to re-connect the string?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance with this issue.

narukami
By phalanx
These aren't the cheapest solution but they would work in your scenario. They are nothing more than inline rectangular connectors. Pretty much just cut the cable at the break, crimp one connector on one side, the other connector on the other side, and plug them together.

On one side: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/825453

And on the other: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/773375

-Bill
By narukami
Bill,

You responded to my request for help in finding a connector for the XIINYA 10-wire flat ribbon cable. I went to the digikey site you provided links for and I'm bit perplexed about the configuration of the connectors you recommended.

My concern is probably based on my ignorance of such micro circuitry, but the 10-wire flat ribbon cable has 10 very small wires all in a row, one right next to the other. The connectors you recommended appear to have two rows of 5 pins…one row on top of the other…not 10 pins all in one row, like the ribbon cable. Can you explain how these connectors will work with their two row configuration when the cable is just one row? I can't tell from the photos on the digikey website, but are the two rows of 5 pins off-set slightly so the two 5-row pins pierce every other wire on the ribbon cable at two different locations?

Thanks again for your kind assistance with this matter.

narukami
By phalanx
Hi narukami,

The 2 rows are staggered because the size of the contacts don't allow them to be directly side by side. When you lay the ribbon cable under the contacts you will see that one row will get the odd numbered conductors and the other row will get the even numbered conductors.

The connectors I listed assumed you have a ribbon cable with 0.050" pitch (common) so you may want to double check that by measuring the cable with a pair of calipers just in case.

No stripping of the wire is necessary. The contacts are IDC (insulation displacement contacts). All you have to do is cut the ribbon cable so it's square, line up the ribbon cable in the connector (pin 1 to conductor 1), and then crimp the connector on with nice even pressure. Ideally you would use a proper crimping tool but for your purposes with a relatively small cable, you can do this with a larger pair of pliers if you are careful. If you have a vice in your garage or workshop, that would be a better solution for crimping.

Cheers!

-Bill
By narukami
Bill,

I didn't intend for you to do my online research for me. Thanks for that. But I'm a firm believer in the axiom…you get what you pay for and I don't like buying poor quality tools. I don't mind spending a little more for a quality product. I'd much rather do that than buy just an adequate product that won't survive well. I'll take a look at your link so I can get an idea of what is the product I need and I'll do a little research on quality on my own. Thank you again for all your help.

narukami
By phalanx
I think you will find that the tools quickly jump from the $20 range up into the hundreds of dollars range. The expensive ones are nothing more than a small arbor press with cutouts in the anvil to hold rectangular connectors.

I've never pursued looking for something in the middle of the price range because if I have something important or large to crimp, I can use the high end tools at my work but at home I've never needed anything more than my workshop vise. If you find something in-between the $20 value crimpers and the high end stuff, post it here so I can take a look.

-Bill