SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By MarkHaysHarris777
Greetings, this post is primarily a critical suggestion for Sparkfun regarding the Intel Edison and Sparkfun 'blocks' hardware nuts and bolts package. I have had some minor trouble with the nuts and bolts fitting properly, and I have some suggestions.

The trouble is three-fold IMHO:
1) pieces too large
2) pieces not precise enough; threaded bolts too long, threaded hole too short;
3) diameter of threaded bolt too large or
4) diameter of holes in Spark blocks too small

I had the following trouble ( the threaded parts do not fit together completely so that the bolts are loose, and too much space exists therefore between the blocks, particularly annoying on the corner where the Hirose connector meets). I CORRECTED the problem by grinding off some of the threaded bolt part so that the bolts can snug down to the block... no, I did not over tighten the bolts (that would be a bad plan). I am not sure if the hole on one end is not deep enough, or whether the bolt is too long (in any case, I fixed it, but just for your awareness).

I had this second problem ( the bolt holes in the I2C block did not line up just right (by a gnat's eyebrow) once the Hirose connector was in place. I CORRECTED the problem by reaming the hole a bit with a jeweler's rasp (very tiny, finger tips only, no motors!) I think the Spark blocks should have just slightly over-sized holes so that there is just a little horizontal plane slop... not much mind you... just enough , OR make the hardware smaller.

I really think the hardware should be smaller (please take a look at the hardware that comes with the Edison and the mini breakout board from Intel... those bolts and nuts are perfect !

Also, just a tip for everybody... put the hardware in the other way round,... in other words, put the screw in at the top down through the Edison holes, and then finish up on the bottom with the larger nut, on the bottom most Spark block. There is a resistor (might be a cap) dangerously close to the 'nut' on the Edison in the connector corner... there could be a short there, or attempting to turn the nut (use fingers gently only) might damage the resistor physically!! Again, the hardware in my opinion should be much smaller in diameter.

Thanks for your time and attention. I love my Spark blocks (as well the Edison) and I did make the hardware work ok to my satisfaction.

Thanks for all you do!

Kind regards,

Cheers,
marcus
:)