SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By polygonfuture
Hi there,

I just received my Wav Trigger, hooked it up to an external amplifier module and started playing with it.

I am noticing that when I connect a trigger to ground (any of them) the trigger happens intermittently. Sometimes the triggers will work normally and play in fast succession. Other times when I bridge the trigger/ground pin, nothing happens.

I have tried setting the triggers to various modes, both normal and random and there is no change in this intermittent behavior.

I did install headers as Mr. Robertson had suggested. I have double checked all of the solder joints and they are all good clean joints. Any ideas why this is happening?
By robertsonics
How are you actually "bridging" the triggers to ground? Are you simply touching a wire or other conductor across the contacts? The trigger inputs are scanned at approximately 5ms intervals and debounced for around 50ms. So there's both a minimum contact time as well as a fairly quick retrigger time. Have you tried hooking an actual button or switch to a trigger input?
By polygonfuture
I have done both and the results are the same.

I tried using male to female breadboard adapters on the headers first and bridging the two male contacts from the leads. Then I tried a push button, and finally using wire to simply bridge the contacts.

On checking the board again today it looks like the on-board switch is no longer functioning either.

I am guessing three things could have happened. Either somehow I recieved a faulty board by fluke, I somehow zapped it via static electricity, or I killed one or more components up while soldering?

I was soldering somewhere between 650-700 fareinheight. Could this have been the issue?

Oh also, Jamie I wanted to let you know that one of your links is broken to the latest version of the mac dmg of the init file creator. The url reads: "...wavtrigger/WT-InitMaker_105_..."

However it should read: "...wavtrigger/WT-InitMaker_106_..."

Cheers,

Jonathan
By robertsonics
If multiple triggers and the on-board button are not working, then it implies that there's something wrong with the CPU. Does the LED blink properly (3-blinks on start-up and then a short flash about every 3 seconds when idle)? In any event, I think it's time to contact SparkFun tech support for help and/or replacement.

Soldering temp should be fine, provided you don't hold it a long time.

Thanks for the broken link tip. I'll fix ASAP.
By polygonfuture
The LED's do blink 3 times when starting up. In any case, I'll talk to SparkFun about it.

As for the links, no worries, Jamie. Thanks for all your help. Awesome to meet a creator who gives such solid support / fast responses. No wonder you were director of imagineering R&D!

Cheers,

Jonathan
By robertsonics
Thanks for the kind words.

Do you have an FTDI Basic or some other USB-to-TTL serial adaptor? If so, you can simply plug it onto the serial connector and use the Remote Control app to test all of the WAV Trigger's functions.