SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mutsop
Hi,

I recently installed my new TV stand. I noticed they included led clips to put on the side of a glass plate.
Unfortunately the led lights are blue (which doesn't comply with the color of walls). The issue is that these leds make use of a wall adapter.

So I thought, why not make it myself :)

The idea of the project is to have an RGB led strip of about 6 to 8 cm (the width of the clip) and connect this to a battery holder with a switch (on/off) and 3 potentiometers (or trimpots). As most of my projects made only use of an arduino and a simple RGB led, I'm not sure how to create this without arduino. I suppose an RGB led is addressable with simply 3 potentiometers/trimpots?

As my knowledge is quite limited with the use of led strips, any help would be appreciated.

So my first question would be, is there a prebuilt battery holder with 3 potentiometers/trimpots? Or should I create this myself?
By Ross Robotics
mutsop wrote:So my first question would be, is there a prebuilt battery holder with 3 potentiometers/trimpots? Or should I create this myself?
Never seen one..

Using a pot is only going to limit current. It will not make a color fully off (maybe with a 100k pot, maybe). So whenever you want to change color, you have to walk to these pots and adjust the color.. Then every other day, you have to replace the batteries..