SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By phalanx
Care to elaborate on your link?

-Bill
By andreas
Sorry. It's a MP3/AAC player with a SAM7S256 board from Olimex. I don't have any particular question, just wanted to get that listed here because the forum description said "Projects in the works - share your ideas with the world".
By bertrik
How much processor power does it take to decode mp3 with the helix code?
Have you also considered libmad?

What do you think of the elm-chan file system?
Have you also considered other FAT filesystems (like EFSL)?
By andreas
It takes about 70%, depending on the bitrate. I have considered libmad, but chosen the Helix library because its memory/CPU requirements were better documented.

The elm-chan file system is a great piece of software. It's easy to use, fast, has low memory requirements and good documentation. I have used EFSL before I switched to the elm-chan lib, and found it a bit overengineered and not very well documented.
By bertrik
Thanks for your answer. I'm about to decide what FS to use for my own project and I'm considering the elm-chan lib and EFSL. I like the simplicity of the elm-chan lib and it seems to be cleverly designed. On the other hand, EFSL seems to have more of a community behind it (SF page with CVS archive, forums, bug report page etc.).
I was just curious about the processor power, seems like a nice project to try to port to an LPC microcontroller.