SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By paynterf
I am planning to to use two of your PRT-08483 Polymer Li-ion batteries to power a wheeled robot. The motor driver requires 6 - 30V, so I can't just use the 5V output from your PowerCell charger/boost regulator for this. My plan is to wire the batteries in series to run the motors, but then the problem is what to do for charging.

I would love to be able to simply use two PowerCell charger/boost regulators and wire their 5V outputs in series, but wire their 5V charging inputs in parallel so both batteries can be charged at the same time. However, according to the PowerCell charging circuit schematic, there is a DC path between the charging input GND and the minus side of the battery, so that won't work. Besides (sour grapes here), It doesn't make any sense to run motor current through the boost regulator.

So, now I'm thinking I'll have to use a switch or relay to switch the batteries to series mode for running the motors (and the rest of the system), and back to parallel for charging.

In the parallel (charging) configuration, I would like to use two PowerCells in parallel (i.e. one for each of the two batteries) for charging from a single 5V power source (so the charge time for two batteries stays the same as the charge time for one).

Is there a better way of skinning this particular cat?

TIA,

Frank