SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Mee_n_Mac
Since there's been no responses ...

I recall (but slap myself for not saving it) a thread all about the differing current draws for an Uno vs it's sleep states. While an Uno is not a Redboard, the 328p MCU is the same. It would be an easy task to take the UNO info and modify it for the quiescent current of the regulator(s), the LEDs and the FTDI chip.

If I could Google that (above) current consumption, I'm sure you can. And post it here so I can bookmark it.
By Kamiquasi
As a semi-aside, if you're bound to ask about power consumption, development boards are probably a good route not to take. Just by going barebones Atmel chip, you'll be saving a lot of power while only giving up a few niceties.

There's a pretty in-depth look at power saving on the latter (starting from an UNO) at this link I've had bookmarked (and mirrored locally) for a long time now: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11497
SparkFun also has a pretty good read: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/309

Can't help Mee_n_Mac out with the pure Uno (or red board) power states - would think it's easy to google, but there's dozens of results, and none of them so far a simple table matrix of enabled features / states vs current draw.
By Mee_n_Mac
Kamiquasi wrote:Can't help Mee_n_Mac out with the pure Uno (or red board) power states ...
Aaah but you have ! :clap: That was exactly the site I was remembering ! Given that info, it's fairly easy to get a good estimate of the Redboard power consumption in most states.

And now I have it bookmarked. Thx. :ugeek:
By JMD
Thanks. That is a great read by Gammon. I will start experimenting with barebones chips on my own time.

My current project needs to be user friendly to the novice with low power consumption and low profile being important, but secondary. My power consumption goals are really quite modest. I just need to control a 14 mA load for 2 weeks off a smallish lead acid battery. Like the backup batteries you might see for security systems or fire exit lighting. The Arduino pro should allow me to meet that goal without sacrificing too much useability. In addition to having a more efficient power supply and loosing the USB FTDI chip, it will also run on a 6 V battery, which allows me to double the amp-hours in the same sized package vs a 12 V battery.

Thanks again,
Joe
By Ross Robotics
You should be fine with that type of battery. It will probably last for days.. I have a few of those batteries as well.